1. Support A8293, Nicholas’s Bill: The Child Access Prevention or Safe Storage Act.
While New York State has some of the strongest gun safety laws in the country, the state does not have child access prevention and safe storage laws to prevent accidental shootings, especially among young children. NYAGV is advocating for the enactment of A8293–also known as Nicholas’s Bill, named for 12-year-old Nicholas Naumkin, who died after being unintentionally shot by a friend playing with his father’s unlocked gun.
How you can help:
- Find your New York State elected officials here and urge them to support Nicholas’s Bill (A8293).
- Make a donation to the NYAGV advocacy fund and help NYAGV advocate for Nicholas’s bill to help protect children.
Last January, just weeks after the Newtown shootings, Governor Andrew Cuomo signed the NY SAFE Act and made New York a leader in gun safety. This landmark bipartisan law protects public safety by keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of dangerous individuals–and it has been upheld in both state and federal courts. (Click here for a summary of the NY SAFE Act.)
NY SAFE is under attack: The well-funded corporate gun lobby has filed numerous lawsuits to overturn NY SAFE and block its implementation and has launched a misinformation campaign about the law, being especially aggressive upstate, where gun ownership is higher.
NYAGV is working to defend NY SAFE: NYAGV filed an amicus brief to assist New York State’s successful defense of the law, and will continue to defend the law on legal grounds. NYAGV is also working to educate the public and counter the gun lobby’s misinformation campaign. Please help defend NY SAFE
- Contact your New York State legislator to ensure NY SAFE is fully implemented and not weakened by the gun lobby.
- Help offset costs to defend NY SAFE with a contribution to NYAGV.
3. Support Federal Gun Safety Laws.
BACKGROUND CHECKS Tell the House to enact H.R. 1565, the Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act of 2013, introduced in April 2013 by Representative Peter King (R-NY) and Mike Thompson (D-CA). This bipartisan bill will expand the existing background check system to cover all commercial firearm sales– including those at gun shows, over the internet or in classified ads–with exceptions for family/friend transfers.
- Urge your Representative to support and co-sponsor H.R.1565. Click here to get contact information for your representative.
Tell the Senate to try again and vote to enact strong background checks.
- Contact your Senator: Senator contact information. Senators Twitter handles.
- Click here to see how your senators voted on background checks in April 2013.
BANS ON ASSAULT WEAPONS AND HIGH-CAPACITY MAGAZINES There is currently no federal ban on purchasing military-style assault weapons holding 20, 30, 40, or even 100 rounds in a single ammunition magazine–and these weapons have been used in several mass shootings, including Newtown.
- Contact senators and representatives and tell them you demand they ban these weapons to avoid future mass shootings. Click here to get contact information for your representatives.
- Click here to see how your senators voted on banning assault weapons and high-capacity magazines in April 2013.
STRENGTHEN GUN TRAFFICKING LAWS AND ENFORCEMENT Each year thousands of guns purchased legally make their way into the hands of criminals through straw purchasers and corrupt dealers.
- Contact Senators and representatives and tell them you demand they strengthen gun trafficking laws. Click here to get contact information for your Representative.
- Click here to see how your senators voted on gun trafficking legislation in April 2013.
4. Support New Yorkers Against Gun Violence.
Make a donation to the NYAGV advocacy fund and help NYAGV fight to keep our New York State gun safety laws strong and to strengthen federal gun laws. Make a tax deductible donation to the NYAGV Education Fund to help NYAGV educate New Yorkers about how to avoid gun violence.