The mission of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence (NYAGV) is to reduce gun violence through legislative advocacy and education designed to encourage action, influence public opinion and lead to policy change. With a primary focus on New York State, NYAGV also advocates at the local and national levels for laws, policies and practices that protect New York State residents, particularly youth, from gun violence. NYAGV was established in 1993 by Brooklyn mothers galvanized by the senseless shooting death of a teacher in Prospect Park. It is a nonprofit organization with 501(c) (4) tax status.
NYAGV advocates to:
- Strengthen gun safety laws in New York State. NYAGV was instrumental in the passage of the NY SAFE Act in 2013.
- Defend and preserve New York’s strong gun safety laws, which are under constant attack and challenge from gun lobby groups.
- Strengthen federal gun safety laws, since illegal guns from states with weak laws continue to flood New York communities.
Download NYAGV’s brochure and find out more about NYAGV.
NYAGV’s Education Fund, the tax exempt 501(c)(3) arm of NYAGV, holds gun-violence-prevention programs for youth and community members.
- The ReACTION Youth Program operates in New York City public high schools.
- NYAGV holds community workshops for youth and community groups and organizations.
Download NYAGV’s brochure on Youth and Community Education Programs.