MISSION and HISTORY
The mission of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence (NYAGV) is to reduce gun violence through legislative advocacy and education designed to encourage action, influence public opinion and lead to policy change. With a primary focus on New York State, NYAGV also advocates at the local and national levels for laws, policies and practices that protect New York State residents, particularly youth, from gun violence.
With the NY SAFE Act, enacted in January 2013, New York has one of the strongest gun laws in the country. We work to preserve these laws, against those who would roll them back, and to pass new laws that will keep guns out of the hands of dangerous criminals and to provide law enforcement with the tools necessary to prevent and combat gun crime.
Established in 1993 by Brooklyn mothers galvanized by the senseless shooting death of a teacher in Prospect Park, and thanks to the diligent work of a small group of individuals, NYAGV has grown to include members in 27 counties throughout New York State. We partner with community groups, local officials, law enforcement and individual citizens across New York State to build a coalition of real people who are taking a stand against gun violence. We also supply the tools for local action and a channel to make people’s voices heard in the halls of power. NYAGV is a nonprofit organization with 501(c) (4) tax status.
- NYAGV works to strengthen gun safety laws in New York State and was instrumental in the passage of the NY SAFE Act in 2013, one of the strongest gun safety laws in the country.
- NYAGV fights to defend and preserve New York’s strong gun safety laws, which are under constant attack and challenge from gun lobby groups.
- NYAGV advocates for stronger federal gun safety laws, since states with weak laws continue to flood New York State with illegal guns.
NYAGV’s Education Fund, the tax exempt 501 (c)(3) arm of NYAGV, works to educate New York youth and community members about gun violence and gun safety laws.
- reACTION is NYAGV’s after-school program for students in New York City neighborhoods prone to gun violence.
- NYAGV holds community workshops throughout New York neighborhoods to educate youth and community groups about reducing gun violence.