Since the shootings in Aurora and Oak Creek, our Executive Director Jackie Hilly has spoken out extensively:
- Executive Director Hilly was on a long debate show on RNN Westchester TV on the issue of preventing gun violence.
- Ms. Hilly appeared on Viewpoint with Eliot Spitzer and then was taped after the show.
- She also responded to proposed legislation by State Senator Gianaris to tighten New York laws in an interview with Channel Thirteen.
- She responded to a report that an upstate Assembly candidate was going to feature shooting at his fund raiser.
- Ms. Hilly praised Mayor Bloomberg in an article in The New York Observer for his stand after the shootings.
There were also many excellent media articles on the subject of the terrible shootings and the issue of preventing gun violence in this country.
- An enewsletter from States United to Prevent Gun Violence of which NYAGV is a member has many of these articles.
- A new CNN poll shows that contrary to what other media outlets are saying 96% of Americans are in favor of background checks before all sales of guns and “six in ten favor bans on the sale or possession of semi-automatic weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips.”
- An strong Time Magazine editorial about our problem with guns.