Thanks to all our supporters who helped to make Albany Lobby Day a success!
Held May 4, this popular field trip gave our reACTION Youth Program students–from high schools in Crown Heights, the Bronx and Harlem–the opportunity to experience state government first hand.
- Meet with legislators representing their districts–including Senators Jesse Hamilton, Bill Perkins and Kevin Parker; Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie, and Assembly member Rodneyse Bichotte.
- Speak to the Senate Sergeant-at-Arms on the floor of the Senate.
- Hold a press conference about the need to stop the dangerous gun violence affecting their communities.
- Remember New York City victims of gun violence. Brandon, a senior from the High School for Public Service, showed pictures and read out names of young people murdered by guns in the past year and honored them with a moment of silence.
- Hear Oxsana Naumkin, mother of shooting victim Nicholas Naumkin, talk about the need for Nicholas’s Law to require the safe storage of guns.
- Watched four students from the Performing Arts High School in Harlem do a dance interpretation while Stephanie McKay sang the song, “Crying Shame.”
Albany Day Press Coverage
–News report by TWC News Capital Region
–“Capital Tonight,” TWC News Capital Region